So we made it – 2017 is here, back to the grind with new challenges and accomplishments to be achieved….but wait why can’t we have a little fun along the way???
Open Streets Cape Town works to create shared streets that embody respect for everyone and help bridge the social and spatial divides of our city
Open Streets Cape Town is back, diarize the 15 January 2017 and grab your bicycle, running shoes, skateboard or electric scooter uh if you own an electric vehicle these are welcome too but only until the designated parking spots because as you should know by now – NO CARS ALLOWED.
photo cred: Bruce Sutherland
The Open Streets initiative allows for the free interaction of our people in a safe space, let out your inner child and explore the streets on foot – yes we all know you have that resolution to get fit – Open Streets has you covered, why not try some of these activities.
- AcroYoga – Marissa Dana & Isabel Essen
- Capoeira – Abadà-Capoeira RSA and Terreiro Capoeira
How about Pole Dancing by Pole Dance Cape Town I heard this is a super workout and something different.
If getting fit is not on your list but you want to indulge in a little bit of culture, we all know Cape Town has an array of talented musicians so come relax and listen to the sounds of:
- Open Mic Session – Down South Natives and The MashUp
- Rosa Choir Open Practice – Rosa Choir
photo cred: Johan Vermeulen
From my experience at previous Open Streets events there is something for everyone to enjoy, young and old, all fitness and imagination levels are welcome just remember, free your mind and leave your bad attitudes at home – even better leave the car at home, reduce your carbon footprint by using public trsnsport on the day.
photo cred: Leonie Mervis
Look out for these other amazing participants on the day, come and enjoy some fun in the sun…
- Art Installation – Janet Ranson
- Film Screening – Black Filmmakers
- Masquerade – Mapiko African Masquerade
- Performance Art – Kenan Petersen
- Free Bike Rides – Velokhaya
- Cycle School – Pedal Power Association (PPA)
- Cycle School – Bicycling Empowerment – Network
- Bike Rental – UpCycles
- Bike Polo
- Pedal-powered Smoothies -Blendavenda
- Swing Dancing -Cape Town Swing
- Sun-kissed Salsa
- Green Hub – Greenpop
- Mark the Clown
- The Book Station
- Basketball – Cape Town Basketball Association
- Kundalini Yoga – Bhakti Asana Yoga
- The Pole Project
- Sidewalk Talk – LifeLine Western Cape
- WoW! Wellness Hub – Western Cape Government
- Zumba – Bevil Lakay
- Cape Town Travel
- Open Mic Session – PHC Soundstage
- Shout Out Corner – Sgt. Shout Out
- Music Performance – Skyscrapers Band
- Drumming Against Racism – Nidhi Amanda Chaitow
- Music Performance – Tribal Need
- Gymnastics – UCT Gymnastics
photo cred: Johan Vermeulen
With our help we can take this initiative right across Cape Town making it more accessible and safer for all to enjoy, even if it is just for one day that one day can and will make a difference.
See you there!!! 15 January 2017.